As the VP, Software Engineering you will lead a world-class team in the research, architecture, development, and support of revolutionary cloud email services. You will have the unique opportunity to build new technologies and to further establish the software framework essential to supporting our innovation and rapid growth.
Based in our Anaheim, CA office, you will direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operation of an agile software development team in delivering on the company’s product strategy and in ensuring internal systems are scaling with SendGrid’s needs. This position requires visionary thinking on technical strategy as well as an ability to flawlessly deliver quality products. This person must put in place all of the necessary people, process, and tools to succeed at building the world’s best email deliverability software team. Finally, the VP will work amongst leadership across the company to establish a highly efficient strategy, planning and release process.
Your team does more than just put out fires and close tickets. They build new and amazing features, start to finish. They are expected to be architects, implementers and product managers who help us figure out what to build, how to build it and then work with a small team of brilliant engineers to build it. SendGrid believes in having small teams of highly influential engineers who have the resources required to do what needs to be done. Our mottos include kicking ass, enjoying life, and getting things done.
- Manage all aspects of software development and sustaining engineering
- Lead and champion a highly efficient agile processes to increase productivity and quality
- Lead architecture design and technology innovation efforts to deliver on the company’s product roadmap
- Ensure flawless quality and extreme scalability of all software platforms
- Engage with business leaders across the company and collaborate on product strategy and to build solid, trusting relationships
- Actively work to build and mentor a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and skilled software engineering team
- Document and deliver on a committed release forecast
- Directly support Sales and Support in engaging with prospective and existing customers to instill the highest level of confidence in SendGrid products
- Deliver hands-on assistance to the team in reviewing designs, code, and issues
- Execute Proof of Concept initiatives quickly with minimal cost to validate architectural decisions
- Work well under pressure and relentlessly achieve customer satisfaction
- Additional duties as required from a small, fast growing Internet company
- Expert knowledge (10+ years) of leading agile software development efforts and delivery of software business solutions
- Extensive experience (10+ years) of delivering highly scalable, high volume distributed systems
- Extensive experience in delivering Software as a Service products and sustaining engineering for those products
- Experience with IaaS and PaaS delivery or application delivery in cloud computing environments
- Experience in leading multiple software engineering teams in parallel development tracks
- Experience in delivering, interfacing with, and sustaining back-office systems such as GL, Billing, CRM, portals, etc.
- Certified Scrum Master, Certified Product Owner, etc., is a plus
- Experience in managing off-shore development teams
- Demonstrated success in architectural planning and application framework design
- Experience with GIT, a plus
- BS in Computer Science (Masters preferred), or equivalent experience