Zencoder offers awesome, API-driven video tools in the cloud. Our users range from small startups to major broadcasters. Customers love us and we're growing quickly. Come be a part of the future of web video.
We're looking for a Senior Video Encoding Engineer to help expand and improve our transcoding engine. This requires a productive engineer who can solve problems quickly and efficiently, but who also understands video compression at a deep level. Our transcoding engine is among the best in the world for web and mobile video - fast, miniscule error rates, excellent compression and correctness. Help us make it better, and make it as good for major media customers as it is for technology companies.
- You understand video at a deep level. You understand YUV, macroblocks, bitstreams, and hex editors.
- You have real-world experience with C, programming on Linux, and a high-level language like Ruby (slightly preferred) or Python.
- You prefer hard problems to easy ones.
- You understand the principles of software craftsmanship. You write clean code, even when working on extremely hard problems. You unit test everything.
What you'll do:
- Work on Zencoder's transcoding team. Improve and expand our transcoding engine.
- Work directly with transcoding tools like ffmpeg, x264, and commercial SDKs.
- Develop custom transcoding technology from scratch, including innovative approaches to parallelization, performance, and compression quality.
- Bring cloud encoding goodness to the major media market, working on broadcast-grade encoding.
Bonus points if:
- You've committed to open source projects like ffmpeg and x264 in the past.
- You understand the professional/broadcast media world. You've worked with TS and PS, captioning and subtitles, MXF and J2K.
- You have experience with operations and infrastructure, like Linux, EC2, security, and file transfer.
- You've been on the publishing/playback side of the video world, dealing with things like CDNs, players, security.
- Salary and full benefits
- Stock options in a growing startup
- Catered lunches every day
- Aeron chair and a Mac setup of your choice
- Commuter benefits
- Relocation help to the Bay Area
What we look for in all employees:
- Ambition to make things awesome, not just good enough
- Excitement about Zencoder and what we're building
- Positive attitude and desire to work with great people