We’re looking for a rock star hands on manager for our public API team. Join our fast moving small team to build our public APIs and enable developers to leverage our dominant position in textbook rentals and Homework Help to build engaging apps that help students succeed in high school and college. If you’re passionate about building APIs and helping developers build awesome apps, this job could be a great fit for you.
- Hands-on technical management role - your time will be split managing a team of API developers and designing and implementing our Open API.
- Provide coaching, mentoring and support to the direct report staff in both technical and non-technical issues.
- Ensure high productivity of the team members. Provide support for their career growth and personal development.
- Grow the team by partnering with your HR recruiter to find great developers and bring them on board quickly.
- Participate with scrum team to plan and commit at the sprint and release level.
- Participate in code reviews, test plan reviews and project requirement reviews.
- Provide estimates and initial assessment for proposed development tasks. Track and report progress of the project against key milestones. Balance resources with task assignments.
- Ensure on-time and high quality delivery of the project.
- Contribute to process improvement within development organization. Institute and adopt best engineering practices.
- Expert level experience with Java, Web Services/REST, and API development
- Experience as a software development manager building and leading highly effective engineering teams
- Experience with scaling / performance tuning of highly available web services
- Passion for developing platforms for external developers
- 6+ yrs of hands-on java development
- Working knowledge of OAuth
- Demonstrated leadership, people management and communication skills
- Experience working with API platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Twilio, etc
- BS/MS in Computer Science, or a related degree
- Experience with an API Gateway product such as Apigee or Mashery
- Experience creating large scale public APIs
- Experience with consumer facing, high traffic websites
- AWS experience